Thoughts To Ponder

Don’t wait until everything is just right. It will never be perfect. There will always be challenges, obstacles and less than perfect conditions. So what. Get started now. With each step you take, you will grow stronger and stronger, more and more skilled, more and more self-confident, and more and more successful. Mark Victor Hansen

Promotion September 2012

Click here to view this photo book larger

Shutterfly allows you to customize your photo book just the way you want.

Friday, September 9, 2011

"Hopes and Dreams according to an 8 year old"



So, it's the first week of school and Riley comes home with this homework sheet to write about his "hopes and dreams".....You would think that this would be an easy task and he would say things like "have more ice cream....play with friends, not have to go to bed, play outside all day and night, and all the normal things a little boy would want.." Well, not for this little peanut. He shoved this assignment in his folder behind papers so I wouldn't see it. When I asked him about it he said "I am not doing it"...to the point that he REFUSED! I was shocked-week one of school and already not doing his work..just GREAT!! Not sure what to do Scott and I started talking to him at the dinner table and asked him "why"?????? To our surprise we found out he didn't want to talk about the big D...Daddy being deployed and ran from the dinner table to his room....*insert heart breaking moment* :(

My point to all this is this....we lived through it, we've moved on, but experience and "moments" are still in our hearts. For those of you that are going through, have been through, or will go through a deployment THANK YOU for all that you do as I know how challenging it can be and how touching and truly amazing the other side is!

Today is a new day. We sat on the couch and talked about how hard it was, but also how much he helped out and was such a rock star "MAN OF THE HOUSE!" After MUCH conversation and dilemma over what to write for his assignment, I am happy to say the worksheet is done. I thought you all might like to see it in the "eyes of an 8 year old"...

Here's what it says:

Last year in school my favorite subject was math.

The hardest thing for me about last school year was my Dad was deployed for a year.

If I could change anything about what I did last year, I would want my Dad home last year so school would not be so hard.

This year I am really looking forward to making new friends.

I am a little worried about the school year, but happy about school.

This really hit me hard when he didn't want to do this. It made me realize what a HUGE sacrifice families make for our country. I know we say that alllll the time, but it's these little "life experiences" we run into when least expected that solidify how incredible ALLLLLLLLLL the families are that deal with deployments. My heart and hat go off to each of you.

I have much love and admiration for those that serve on the front lines and stay to keep the home front running like a "well oiled machine" as we military spouses do so well. As we honor all the lives lost on 9/11 I hope we don't lose sight of all the lives that are lost at war. I am not looking to start comparing the two, but I am thinking that a widowed spouse of 9/11 is just as painful as a widowed spouse of deployed member. We shall never forget ALLLLLL the many sacrifices people make for others and I hope that even on those crazy, busy, life just moves at the speed of light days and seasons in our life, we take time to look at our family and count them as a blessing and cherish the time we do have with them. Afterall, our days are not eternal......and who knows when it will be the last kiss or hug or cuddle with the one you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment